Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Reflection writing about How it Feels to be colored me

     It's hard to put labels on myself but, if i had to I would put an athlete as my main label considering the whole reason why I came to Missouri Western was play football besides getting an education. Another label I would put on my self is i guess a white boy. I am white and have been called that by my black friends. I can't really put anymore labels on myself because i don't lake to label people. There is no label or word to be able to describe who I am as a person or what I am into simply because there is so many.
     Hurston Mentions in the essay how sometimes her color sticks out in certain places or at certain events when she is with a white friend but, when she is back in the society around her she can't notice her color. I feel the same way in some circumstances. For example, if I were to go to a rap concert to see a famous rapper. My color would stick out because most rap comes from the african american race, therefore I would be surrounded by African americans and my "Whiteness would come out". Or it could be the other way around, such as, if an African American were to go to a Garth Brooks concert. It would be the same feeling for them as if I went to a rap concert.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kirk,

    You write,

    "My color would stick out because most rap comes from the african american race, therefore I would be surrounded by African americans and my "Whiteness would come out". Or it could be the other way around, such as, if an African American were to go to a Garth Brooks concert. It would be the same feeling for them as if I went to a rap concert."

    You make an interesting point. Why do you think you would stick out like a sore thumb at a rap event? Do you know anything of the jazz era? Many believe that jazz derived from African Americans, that it is a music purely based on the African American experience, so if white listeners listen to this music, they may not fully understand it. Would you say this is also true of hip hop?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete